Saturday, January 23, 2010

'Dealing With Liquids' is mastered!

Finally we have a master, and I can honestly say that it's good!

I've been in awe of Pink Floyd ever since I first heard 'Dark Side of the Moon' back in my sister's flat when I was a teen. 'Wish You Were Here' is probably the most influential album I've ever heard. So it was with utter delight that I found www.tubemastering.com. Tube Mastering's Andy Jackson is one of Dave Gilmour's engineers and a bloody brilliant mastering engineer. I know this because we now have an album he's mastered, and it's so much better than any of the mixes we attempted to master. Crystal clarity and fidelity at even the quietest volume.

It's true that if you master yourself it saves money. But I think that it's a false economy, especially if it's your first album. The one niggle I had was that we couldn't attend the session and had to trust he'd be true to the material. But it didn't matter. The result is amazing. Okay, so that's a personal opinion. :)

Now we have to get the artwork finished and the replication dealt with.

1 comment:

Kapitano said...

Hey, a new Kamakura song! Which I hope we shall be hearing soon? It's been too long since...Pestalozzi?

Interesting site the masterer (Master Master?) has. Seems to have a very conservative attitude to compression - he recommends 3db, I start at 6.